Thursday, August 9, 2012

ER time!

Hello all,

So, this post is a little late, but I haven't had much time between doctor's appts, getting ready for school and sleeping, so here we go:

In a previous post, I mentioned that I was having headaches again. Well last Sunday, I decided enough was enough, and we headed to the ER to try to figure out what was going on.

We arrived at the ER, and waited in the waiting room, and people were obviously being triaged based on their complaints, rather than their order of entrance because I was triaged pretty late after I came in, it took about 2 hours after I arrived to get into the actual Emergency Department.

We got into the ER, I got into a gown, and a nurse came in and got my history....yes I am nauseous, no I don't feel unsafe in my home....yes I have pain....la la la la...blah blah blah...

It seemed like forever until the doc came in. I told him what was going on, that I had had surgery two weeks prior and I was having positional headaches ( whenever I sat up or stood up) and they were pretty much overtaking me. He did his usually doctor things, listened to my heart and lungs, asked me the same questions the nurse had asked me,told me he was going to call my surgeon and then he left.  Oh, he also asked if I wanted something for pain, and I responded with a "yes please", because this headache seemed to be overtaking me at this point.

It was good that I was blessed with a wonderful nurse, Gloria, who liked to laugh and laughed at the fact that  my brother and I were threatening each other with medical procedures ( we are both EMTs) and quizzing each other on EMT stuff to pass the time. ( Another nurse actually stuck her head in to see if a doctor was in there....lol)

I got some good pain meds, and some Zofran ( a miracle drug which made my nausea disapear) The pain meds made me a bit loopy, but they made my headache go a away for a few sweet hours.  My surgeon wanted a CT scan and some blood work, so they did that, and we waited, and waited and waited......

They didn't find anything immediately dangerous, so they sent me home with some Zofran, and some pain meds and told me to talk to me NS the next day,

The next day, Dr. Lovely said that he did see some fluid, but he didn't think it was enough to cause my headaches, but he did want to see me  the next day.

SO, the next day ( this being Tuesday) I went to Dr. Lovely's office, and he told me that me incision looked good, and that the small build up looked like it could be anything, and since I was so newly post op, it could be blood, or it could be a small leak of CSF ( Cerebrospinal Fluid) but he put me on a course of steroids for
 6 days to see if he could get any fluid that

So here I am. hoping these steroids help or else it's back to the drawing board. Dr. Lovely is telling me to be patient, but let me tell you, it's REALLY hard....

Ok, so that's the story for now.....

I hope you all are well!

Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment